Guidelines for Submission for Abstracts for Session Proposals (for Sub themes ST04)
“Heritage and Democracy”
On behalf of the 19th ICOMOS General Assembly Scientific Committee we invite the submission of Abstracts for session proposals for the Scientific Symposium to be held in Delhi, December 2017.
The deadline for submission of Abstract for session proposals is 30 April 2017 by 2400 hours IST.
The Scientific Symposium will be open to both ICOMOS and IUCN members and non-members and its theme is “Heritage and Democracy”. The Abstracts for session proposals are invited for the following sub theme:
- ST04: Culture-Nature Journey, exploring the complexities of human relationships with natural and cultural places
Note: For other sub themes please refer to link Click here for submitting an abstract.
Abstracts for session proposals must be submitted no later than 30 April 2017, 2400 hours IST, using the online application link provided Click here
Please follow the instructions when filling out the on-line application form. Abstracts sent by fax or email will not be accepted.
This is a request for your proposals to be part of the proposed Culture-Nature Journey within the Symposium.
ICOMOS and the IUCN, with a growing group of our members and partners, will build on the success of the collaboration “Connections”: The Nature/Culture Journey held at the IUCN World Congress in Hawaii in September 2016.
Once again we envision that through a mix of session formats from scholarly papers to knowledge cafes, workshops, kiosks and posters, participants will address the interconnected character of cultural and natural heritage. We think this is a vital issue, of growing importance to our work on conservation, globally and locally. The “Culture/Nature Journey” will include diverse elements, but its success relies on members and partners of ICOMOS and IUCN making your proposals by the due date so they can be considered within the programme of the Scientific Symposium.
This is a call for proposals of Sessions. We expect ICOMOS and IUCN members to come together to propose sessions that fit within the broad sub themes described below and to gather at least a core of collaborative presenters (other presenters may be recommended by the symposium co-ordinators from their general call for papers).
Submitting a Proposal for Sessions:
There are a variety of formats available and you should bear in mind that demonstrating participant engagement during your session is an important factor taken into consideration for your selection. For those that were involved in the Nature-Culture Journey at the IUCN World Congress in 2016 it is worth noting that the ICOMOS GA is shorter and with limited financial resources. However we are keen to build in collaborative formats. Formats envisaged include:
Paper Presentations and Posters: A group of related scholarly papers delivered orally and followed by questions
Knowledge Cafe: A gathering of interested participants in a round table/ mini workshop format that which aims to facilitate an open and creative conversation on a topic of mutual interest building collective knowledge, through sharing ideas and insights to gain a deeper understanding of the subject and the issues involved.
Workshops: A gathering of participants working on a shared problem or issue to develop solutions or methodologies.
Case Study Kiosk: Brief presentations of case studies to small groups of interested participants using power point and/ or hands on materials
Each proposal for a session should have the involvement of an ICOMOS ISC and given the nature of the journey, each proposal for a session must involve members from both IUCN and ICOMOS. If you would like suggestions on who to work with, we offer to connect you to others in IUCN or ICOMOS who are involved in the topic of your proposal and to answer other questions you have on the submission process. Please email us on [email protected]
We also suggest that you reference the culture/nature journey in your contribution – for example:
We propose to build on recent collaboration between ICOMOS and IUCN on the relationship between culture and nature. Our contribution will expand on the strengthening evidence that natural and cultural heritage are closely intertwined in most landscapes and that conservation of such places depends on better integration of philosophies, policies and procedures regarding their management. ICOMOS and IUCN face overlapping conservation challenges for places with complex biocultural systems and the two bodies bring substantial complementary knowledge, ideas, standards and capacities to this matter. Collaboration is vital to advancing good practice.
Please let us know if you are working on a proposal, so we have a sense of the number of submissions related to the journey.
Thank you for working with us on this journey – and we look forward to hearing from you.
Guidelines for Abstract:
- Abstracts must consist of a minimum of 150 words and a maximum of 300 words.
- Language for submission is English or French.
- The chosen sub theme and format should be clearly identified in size 14 Times font and be centred on the page. The abstract should clearly explain your session and how it fits into the theme or subtheme. Please indicate the proposed format of the session, i.e., paper or poster presentation, knowledge café, workshop or kiosk.
- The title of the proposal must be written in size 14 Times font and be centred on the page below the sub theme.
- The name of the proposed presenter(s), from ICOMOS and the IUCN, if known, must be indicated below the title and aligned to the left in size 12 Times font
- Affiliation to universities or other institutions should be clearly indicated below name(s) in size 12Times font.
- All contact information (full postal address, phone numbers, fax and e-mail address) should be clearly mentioned below affiliation in size 12 Times font.
- Key words (maximum of 4) of the proposal must be indicated below the contact information in size 12 Times font. (Please refer to the key words listed below the sub-theme in the document detailing the symposium’s theme ).
- The Abstract should be submitted in MS word format only, in single-spaced, size 12 Times font.
- The principal presenter(s) of the proposal must include a short curriculum vitae consisting of a maximum of 75 words, to be added at the end of the abstract
Please consult the General Assembly website Click Here for full details on how to upload your submission.
To be included in the final scientific programme, all selected proposals will need to have paid their registration fee to attend the General Assembly and Symposium. For more information on registration see: http://icomosga2017.org/registration/
Abstract for Proposals, submission date for Subthemes ST04: 30 April 2017 by 2400 Hours IST
For queries and further discussion on proposals only (not for submission) please email [email protected]